He appeared in the original series as a central character in season 1-2, one of the main protagonists in season 3-4, anti-hero in season 5 and anti-hero turned final antagonist of season 6. He is one of the main antagonists of Ghost’s storyline and a minor antagonist of Tommy’s storyline.
He serves as the main protagonist of Power Book II: Ghost.
In season 1-2 Tariq started out as a smart kid who loved his family and had a brotherly bond with Shawn. however he went under character change in season 3 after his father left their family for Angela He begins to resent his father and was devastated to learn about shawn’s death. He was groomed by Kanan, Jukebox, Ray Ray and Dre (although Dre tried everything he could to keep Tariq away from Kanan). After that, he killed Ray Ray for killing Raina and witness Kanan kill Jukebox. He began to resent his father even more as he becomes disrespectful and causes the death of Kanan. After Ghost tried to turn Tariq in, Tariq kills him. As the spin off begun, Tariq was forced to grow up to look after his family, get his mother out of jail, graduate from university and drug dealings as well as keeping law enforcement away from him.
Tariq is living with a perfect life at home with his family. He plays basketball at school while being coached by Shawn Stark who also is a chauffeur for Ghost. He looks up to Shawn as an older brother.
When James is locked out of the penthouse because Tasha had changed the passcode due to his affair with Angela Valdes, James is forced to contact Tariq to be able to reach his house. Tariq is still on good terms with his father and even pays him a visit at his hotel to watch the basketball game in which he is punished for by his mother.
Tariq lives with his mother and father and becomes the main character and one of the protagonists in season 3 he mixes with his father's former mentor and drug boss Kanan Stark as a plan to get at Ghost as his relationship with his father starts to strain mainly because of Angela.
Kanan plans on to kill Tariq when he takes him to Breeze's old apartment (who Ghost killed in the past) but then spares Tariq after the latter voices his resentment at his father. Kanan uses another plan with Tariq by helping him rob his rich classmates and getting some of the money.
Jukebox then tells Kanan to use Tariq as ransom to get money and has Tariq drugged and sends Tasha a ransom demand by text.
Tariq continues to take on the role as a protagonist.
When Kanan learns that James has been arrest, he and Jukebox let Tariq go. After coming home Tariq tells Tasha that he and Slim pulled a prank on her and that he is fine. Tasha then tells Tariq if he see's a man named Kanan, to tell her and Tommy. Later at a party with Kanan, Jukebox, and Ray Ray, Tariq meets Ray Ray's cousin Destiny and has a one night stand with her.
When James is released from prison Jukebox then tells Kanan that they can now get their money by kidnapping Tariq again. When Tariq goes to see Kanan, Jukebox is there, and when Tariq tries to leave she hits him with the butt of her gun. James and Kanan arrive to an abandon house and see Jukebox hold Tariq at gunpoint. Realizing that she has been played by Ghost and Kanan. Jukebox then tells Tariq that Kanan has been playing him, as his name is not Slim, and threatens to kill Tariq if Kanan does not tell him the truth. Tariq listens as Kanan comes clean and tells him who he really is and that he killed his own son Shawn, to Tariq's shock. Before Jukebox can kill Tariq, Kanan kills her.
Afterwards, Tariq leaves with his father and they don't talk the whole ride home, since both are in shock at what occurred. Tariq then links up with Brains and Big Country for another robbery. However, it goes wrong when Tariq stops Big Country from almost raping a woman and the woman could identify his name. Then Tariq runs away from the two, after they kill the woman and he goes to see his father at home.
While going to the school dance Tariq goes outside to meet Destiny, but ended up seeing Ray Ray. Tariq then runs away from him, once the latter tries to kill him and hides, unaware that Raina followed him. That is when he witnesses Ray Ray kill Raina when she confronted him about his identity. Tariq approached her body, calling her name in horror.
When Tasha and James receive the news of Raina's death Tariq lies to them about what really happened that night. While his relatives are there at the penthouse, Tariq then goes to James' office and steals Tasha's gun. Tariq then visits Dre and demanded for him to tell him where Ray Ray is. At first Dre refuses to tell him, but Tariq threatens Dre by promising to tell Ghost and Tommy that he knew that Kanan was alive this entire time and that he did not tell them.
Afterwards Tariq then goes to Ray Ray's apartment and confront him about killing Raina. Ray Ray mocks him for having the courage unlike his sister, as he reaches for his gun to shoot Tariq but ended up killed by him. James, Tommy, and Tasha arrive at Ray Ray's apartment and sees Tariq holding Tasha gun with blood on it, and a dead Ray Ray lying in a pool of blood. They all get rid of evidence that would implicate Tariq. While at home, Tariq tells Tasha that he is not sorry about what he did and Tasha agrees.
He transitions into an anti-hero as he starts to become rebellious and his hate for his father surface.
After killing Ray Ray, Dre call Tariq who hangs up on him, when questioning Ray Ray. The next day Tasha and Ghost questions Tariq about Ray Ray killing Raina, and why didn't Raina tell Tasha that Tariq was in danger. That is when James revealed to Tasha that Kanan told him about Tariq robbing people. Then Tariq revealed that Dre knew that Kanan was alive and that he had to threaten him by gunpoint to tell him where Ray Ray was staying. Angered James lashes out at Tariq and blames him for Raina's death.
At Raina's funeral Tariq overhears Tommy and Ghost planning to killing Dre, and leaves to warn Dre about his father and uncle killing him. After getting accepted to Choate, Tariq reveals to Tasha that he witness Raina getting killed by Ray Ray and apologies and Tasha consoles her son. Later after getting into a fight with his father, Tariq leaves and is picked up by Kanan. In the middle of Season 5 Tariq and Kanan bonded over his hatred for James and learning about the drug game.
When Tariq returns home he is greated by Tasha and Angela. Tasha reveals that Angela knows about Ray Ray and that she is helping him. That is when Tasha tells Tariq that they are going to frame Kanan for Ray Ray's murder. Angry Tariq lashes out at Tasha for working with Angela who broke their family apart. Tasha then tells Tariq it is either her or Kanan, and Tariq picks Kanan. James later talks to Tariq about framing Dre for Ray Ray's murder. Tariq thinks that he wants to frame Kanan again, but James tells him he would not frame Kanan, and that he would frame Dre instead. After James leaves, Tasha talks to Tariq again to be on board with their plan.
After robbing a boy, Tariq asked Kanan why did he kill Shawn. Kanan says that he was disappointed by Shawn and that he wished that Shawn was like Tariq. Later that night Tariq and Kanan are pulled over by the police. One officer asked Kanan to open his trunk, Kanan then tells Tariq that he is not going back to jail. The police men then finds Tasha's gun. Revealing that Tariq was in on Tasha and Angela's plan. Tariq then lies to the cops that he was being held against his will. Afterward when Tarq is being placed in the back of a police car, Kanan then starts to shoot and kill four police officers.
Kanan then smiles at Tariq while kiling a police officer, then is killed when he was shot twice and bleed out while driving away. Tariq is picked up for questioning and lies that Kanan killed Ray Ray. Later in season 5 Tariq wants to become a drug dealer and starts to sell drugs at his school. Also Tariq asks Vincent Ragni to be his distributor and tells him he got what it takes.
He takes on a role as one of the main antagonists and anti-hero.
Tariq continues to sell drugs at Choate with the help of his roommate, and falls for a girl name Effie. When Tariq runs out of the drugs that Kanan gave him he starts to steal Tommy's drug supplies and starts to sell them to Vincent, who warns him about screwing with his business. Tommy learns that Tariq is selling drugs, and tells him that this is not for him.
However Tariq is expelled from Choate, when someone gave an anonymous tip on him selling drugs and where he hides it. Before leaving Tariq realized that it was Effie who gave him up. Tasha and James confronts Tariq, who get into it with Ghost about being a drug dealer. Later Tommy calls Tariq who is mad at him for lying about getting more product, and getting expelled. Tommy tells Tariq to turn off the security alarms and to leave the back door unlocked. Tariq then sees Joe Proctors daughter Elisa Marie in Raina's room crying about the loss of her mother. Tariq then gets him and Elisa Marie out the house to get her hot chocolate.
Elisa Marie then gets a call from her father who tells her that he is not coming with her and to go to her uncles house. Tariq takes her to see her uncle, who thanks him for bring her to his house. Tariq is about to leave when Vincent and Nicola pulls up and demanded him to get in the car, because of Tariq messing up with his business. However it was revealed that Tariq fakes his kidnapping in order to get two million dollars from his father and Tommy.
So that he can split the money with Vincent, and pay him back. However Tariq does not know that Vincent plans to keep all the money and kill him, Tommy, and Ghost. When the cops wanted to talk to Tariq about Proctor's death, Tasha convinces Vincent to let Tariq go so can answer to the cops. Afterwards Vincent takes Tariq back with him, and later is reunited with Ghost and Tommy. Vincent then decides to kill all three of them until Benny (Proctor's cousin) pulls up with his crew and orders Vincent not to shoot them because Tariq saved his niece. Benny promises Vincent that he will go to war with him if he tries to kill Tommy, Ghost, and Tariq. Vincent leaves with his money, and James take Tariq home.
Tariq is then awaken by gun pointed to his face by Ghost. Ghost confronts Tariq about helping Tommy kill Proctor, and using the back door with Elisa Marie. Tariq tells James that Tommy told him that he was going to tell him if he was going to kill him, and that he owes him. Ghost express disappointment with Tariq not picking sides and selling drugs. Tariq at first feels not threatened by Ghost, however, Ghost promises him that if he ever betrays him again he will make his death look like a suicide. Ghost later takes Tariq to the penthouse, and makes Tariq give him his money from selling drugs. Tariq later tries to talk to Tommy, but Lakeisha is there and confronts him about stealing drugs from Tommy.
Tariq lies to Lakeisha, but inadvertently confess that stole Tommy's drugs when he revealed where Tommy keeps his drugs at in Brooklyn. With the help of Tasha and Ghost, Tariq is accepted into another school. Tariq tells James that Lakeisha knows that he stole from Tommy, and is worried about her telling him. James tells Tariq that he will make sure that Lakeisha is not a problem. Tariq later meets up with Dre about wanting to still sell drugs. Tariq threatens Dre he will tell Tommy where he is, and reminds him that Tommy still wants to kill him. Dre agrees to help Tariq to move weight. Later Tariq and Tommy talk and Tommy confronts him about stealing from him. Tariq tries to lie to him, but Tommy tells him that he knows that it was him when he knew about the address when he gave Tommy a ride. Also when James was trying to kill Tommy. Tariq finally tells Tommy the truth, because he was low on drugs to sell to Vincent. Tommy scares Tariq when he almost pushes Tariq off a building. Tommy tells Tariq that he is just like Ghost, and that Ghost was right about him using him and steeling from him. Tommy declares to Tariq that he is no longer his uncle, and cannot trust him.
Tariq and Tasha talk at her apartment. Tasha tells Tariq that she will help him sell drugs in exchange he continues to go to school. Tasha express that she lost one child, but will not lose another. Tasha tells Tariq that he can be better than Ghost, and has what it takes. Tasha tells Tariq to tell her everything that he is hiding from Ghost. Tariq comes clean about faking his kidnapping to get two million dollars for Vincent, and was suppose to get a cut. Tasha warns Tariq to not lie to her ever again, if he wants her help into schooling him about the drug game.
On his way to save James, Tommy tries to get Tariq to help him but the boy refuses because Ghost brought this on himself. To prevent Tommy from saving Ghost, Tariq notifies Vincent and his gang of Tommy's location. While contemplating his thoughts, Tariq is accosted by a vision of Kanan who encourages him to take out Ghost himself. Tariq then confronts his father, armed with a gun. Ghost is not fazed, telling his son he loves but Tariq angrily states his reason for this was because Ghost ruined their family for Angela and states he wishes they could go back before stating that's impossible. After briefly hesitating, Tariq pulls the trigger, just as Tasha arrives at Truth. Tariq watches as James falls from the balcony before his frantic mother confronted her son before saying she'd take the wrap but he says Dre was coming to do it and they both separated. After his mother left, Tariq looked down to see Tommy (who survived the mob attack) cradling Ghost before being shocked to see that the shooter is Tariq. Horrified his god uncle is aware of his acts, Tariq panics when Tommy aims a gun at the latter but the dying Ghost tells him not to do it and Tariq runs off. Tariq runs through the hall, catching sight of Cooper Saxe before watching him from hiding. Tariq sneaks past Saxe and Blanca and makes his way into the crowd where he pretends to be worried about his father.
Tariq and his mother are brought in for questioning, with him going through with framing Dre and threatening Saxe with seeing him at the club should he doubt him. That night, his mother comes home from dinner with Simon Stern and she reveals that not only has he got Tariq a place at a college but gave Tasha a job while also revealing Dre died. Tariq tells Tasha that he has a plan and goes to bed after assuring her.
After breakfast with his mother, Tariq is told by Tasha to get ready for college but the feds arrived led by Blanca. She revealed that Tasha's former lover Quinten gave Tasha up after providing an alibi and Tasha is arrested for the crime of the murder that she didn't commit. Tariq is shocked his mother went behind by his back to save him. As she is taken away, she tells her pleading son to live his life and go to school.
Tariq gets his GED and enrolls in college. He is last seen arriving at college, where he prepares for a new start.
Power Book II: Ghost
Tariq begins his time in Stansfield, attending court with his mother before he has his first meeting with the Dean. He ends up late, so the Dean impresses upon Tariq that unless Ezekiel Cross does well, under Tariq's tutelage, Tariq himself won't be allowed to attend Stansfield. He meets a girl, Lauren, who convinces him to join the Canonical Studies program at Stansfield in order to graduate earlier. Although it will require a verbal entrance exam, Tariq is determined to make the attempt.
Later, Tariq is contacted by Tameika Washington, informing him that his mother fired her as her defense attorney. Tameika recommends Davis Maclean as a replacement, so Tariq seeks Maclean out — however, Maclean will only take the case for $500,000. At his grandmother's house, Tariq searches through old contacts so he can sell product to make the initial $50,000. His mother calls and admonishes him to focus on school instead, but he lies and goes through with it anyway. He contacts Cinnamon to deal for him, and Effie to supply him with product for free, due to her guilt.
The next day, he wakes up after having fallen asleep, halfway finished his book for the oral exam. He arrives late and admits that he didn't even read it all, but is given a second chance. He later returns to his dorm, only to find Ezekiel having sex with Tanisha. Afterward Ezekiel brings Tariq to meet his family, where Tariq sees even more sex and then violence, before returning home, stopping by to give Cinnamon his product to sell. Tariq then finishes his book, gets advice on it from Lauren while having coffee, and speaks with Cooper Saxe about his inability to get his mother off suspicion of murder. He admonishes Tariq that if his mother tells the truth, he can fix everything.
Tariq then uses Ezekiel's Instagram to lie about Maclean being his lawyer, forcing Maclean to start the case with a $50,000 down payment, acquired from selling product. He gives his oral exam, and is accepted into canonical studies, and after this, meets with Maclean. Tariq gives Maclean a message for his mother, that if she loves him she should tell the truth. At court, Tariq prepares for his mother to expose him, but rather than doing so, she lies once again and blames someone else for the murder. Tariq watches helplessly as she is charged under the Continuing Criminal Enterprise Kingpin Statute, the sentence: the needle.
Tariq is later summoned by Saxe to appear in court to testify against his mother. Tariq has Tameika soon becomes his defense lawyer with the latter asking the former if he had killed his father in which he admits to for Ghost being the monster, not him. In court, Tariq calls out Maclean and Saxe for their illicit activities and for Saxe following him to his father's grave when his niece planted a tracking app on his phone and spiked his drink without referencing her. Due to this, Saxe is forced to reassign and his mother is able to leave prison while framing Tommy for the murder of ghost which causes a new problem of Tommy deciding to go after Tasha for revenge. Tariq attempts to talk to Tommy in order to spare his mom with the latter refusing after mentioning not only him being framed for Ghost's murder as well but the death of Lakeisha. Tariq helps Tommy orchestrate his death while fleeing the FBI when he steals his mother's bmw to chase Tasha. Later that night, Tommy is preparing to kill Tasha, but what he doesn't know is that Tariq has fooled him which Tasha is being put into protective custody. Tommy enraged Tariq lied to him atttempts to kill Tariq but is saved by Monet who wants to kill him for killing Owl and possibly is forced out of the city. However, Tariq begs Monet to spare Tommy but in the end with Tommy stating that he won't stop coming after Tasha in the end.
Murders committed by Tariq
- Raymond “Ray Ray” Jones: Shot in the head for killing Raina St. Patrick.
- James "Ghost" St. Patrick: Shot in the heart and off the Truth nightclub balcony for trying to turn Tariq and Tasha in to the feds and for being in his way of future.
- Jabari Reynolds: Shot in the stomach by Cane Tejada, but shot in the head for planning to write a book about Tariq's illicit activities.
Murders connected to Tariq
- LaVerne “Jukebox” Ganner: Shot three times in the chest by Kanan Stark. Kanan killed Jukebox in order to save Tariq after he was kidnapped by her.
- Carol: Indirectly caused. Tariq shouted out Brains' name to tell him to stop Big Country from raping Carol, who they were robbing. Brains shot her in the head after Tariq mentioned his name.
- Raina St. Patrick: Indirectly caused. Because Tariq was a witness to a robbery, Ray Ray made a move to kill him. While Ray Ray was chasing Tariq, Raina confronted Ray Ray and was shot in the chest.
- Uriel Diaz: Was attacked by Ghost and Tommy as they believed at first the Jimenez were responsible for killing Raina as Tariq didn't tell them that it was Ray Ray who was behind killing Raina. Ghost and Tommy tortured Uriel until he admitted he killed Julio based on Dre's orders angering Ghost to the point he shot Uriel.
- Marco: Shot in the chest by Andre Coleman. Tariq texted Andre telling him he was in danger.
- Carmine: Shot in the abdomen by Andre Coleman. Bled out several hours later. Tariq texted Andre telling him he was in danger.
- Four NYPD Officers: All shot in the head by Kanan Stark. Tariq framed Kanan for murder and Kanan resisted arrest.
- Kanan Stark: Tariq was in on Tasha and Angela's plan to frame Kanan for Ray Ray's murder. However Kanan was killed by the police after killing four of them. Tariq knew Kanan would resist arrest.
- Joe Proctor: Shot to death by Tommy Egan. Tariq left the service door for the apartment open and turned off the alarms allowing Tommy to enter undetected.
- Four of Vincent Ragni's assassins and Nicola: All shot to death by Tommy Egan. Tariq contacted Vincent to tell him where Tommy is to impede him for saving Ghost. However, Tommy easily overpowered them and killed them all.
- Vincent Ragni: Pistol-whipped to death by Tommy Egan. Tariq contacted Vincent and told him where to find Tommy causing him and his allies to try to ambush Tommy but they failed.
- Frank Tejada: Shot to death by Cane as Tariq told him that Frank was a snitch.
- D.C. Joe: Helped Dru dispose of the body after being killed by Monet.
- Barz: Drowned by 2-bit after he tried to kill Tariq and Tariq helped dispose the body.
Attempted murder victims
- Andre Coleman : Held him at gun point so he can reveal Ray Ray’s location.
- Tommy Egan : Tried to have him killed to stop him from saving Ghost but failed.
- Epiphany : Attempted to kill her to stop her from testifying in court but later gave her money to run away.
- Become a drug dealer & drug kingpin (ongoing)
- Kill Raymond Jones for killing Raina (Succeeded)
- Set up Kanan for killing Shawn and to protect the family (Succeeded)
- Have Tommy killed by Vincent to stop Dre, really Tasha from killing Ghost (Failed)
- Kill James St Patrick "Ghost" (Succeeded)
- Frame Dre for his fathers murder (failed)
- help his mother get out of jail (succeeded)
- Prevent himself from going to jail for Ray Ray and Ghosts murder (Succeeded)
- Take down Saxe for his betrayal (succeeded)
- Take down Davis for his betrayal (succeeded)
- Pay off Davis McLean (formerly)
- Work With Monet and the Tejadas (succeeded)
- Be with Lauren Baldwin (A possibility)
- Make Effie Trust Him (Succeeded, at first)
- Keep Tasha safe from Tommy (Succeeded, for now)
- Kill Jabari for trying to expose him (Succeeded)
- Get away with killing Jabari (ongoing)
- Pay off 2-bit (ongoing)
- He looked up to Shawn Starks as an older brother figure and was devastated when he died.
- Unlike Ghost, Tariq actually confessed to committing a murder.
- In chronologically, he is the third protagonist of the universe but in terms of release, he is the second protagonist.
- He was likeable from season 1-3 but became hated after getting Raina and Kanan killed and killing Ghost. As of Power Book II: Ghost, he started to become likeable again but some fans hasn’t forgiven him for Ghost’s murder.
- Although Tariq blames his father and Angela for his family falling, though he himself has a part in that.
- Tariq was actually born in July 2001 as he celebrated his 17th birthday in July 2018, however this was changed in Season 1 of Power Book II: Ghost as he celebrated his 18th birthday in October 2020.
- By continuing to rob people, Tariq was indirectly responsible for his sister's death after Ray Ray killed her.
- By killing his father, Tariq was indirectly responsible for putting his mother in prison after she took the blame.
- He got the last major kill at the end of the series.
- He is the first of his family to go to college.
- He started out as a anti-hero in Most of the episodes of season 6 but after he stole Tommy’s drugs, falsely having himself kidnapped, threatening his father and almost had Tommy killed, he became an antagonist.
- In season 6, he was the secondary antagonist in Ghost storyline and a minor antagonist in Tommy storyline.
- Tariq is one of the three antagonists that got away with his actions, the others being Cooper Saxe and Rashad Tate. This due to Tariq and Rashad becoming protagonists in their own spin-off and Saxe becoming Tariq’s antagonist.
- Tariq is one of the only four characters to kill someone in both the show and spin-off, the others being Tommy, Kanan and 2-Bit.
|Power, Season 1|
|#01||"Not Exactly How We Planned"||#04||"Who Are You?"||#07||"Loyalty"|
|#02||"Whoever He Is"||#05||"I Gotta Go"||#08||"Best Laid Plans"|
|#03||"This Is Real"||#06||"Who You With?"|
|Power, Season 2|
|#01||"Consequences"||#05||"Who You Are and Who You Want to Be"||#09||"Time's Up"|
|#02||"No Friends on the Street"||#06||"Why Her?"||#10||"Ghost Is Dead"|
|#03||"Like We're Any Other Couple"||#07||"You're Not the Man"|
|#04||"You're the Only Person I Can Trust"||#08||"Three Moves Ahead"|
|Power, Season 3|
|#01||"Call Me James"||#05||"Help Me"||#09||"I Call the Shots"|
|#02||"It's Never Over"||#06||"The Right Decision"||#10||"In My Best Interest"|
|#03||"I Got This on Lock"||#07||"Don't Go"|
|#04||"Don't Worry, Baby"||#08||"Trust Me"|
|Power, Season 4|
|#01||"When I Get Out"||#05||"Don't Thank Me"||#09||"That Ain't Me"|
|#02||"Things Are Going to Get Worse"||#06||"New Man"||#10||"You Can't Fix This"|
|#03||"The Kind of Man You Are"||#07||"You Lied to My Face"|
|#04||"We're in This Together"||#08||"It's Done"|
|Power, Season 5|
|#01||"Everyone Is Implicated"||#05||"Happy Birthday"||#09||"There's a Snitch Among Us"|
|#02||"Damage Control"||#06||"A Changed Man?"||#10||"When This Is Over"|
|#03||"Are We On the Same Team?"||#07||"The Devil Inside"|
|#04||"Second Chances"||#08||"A Friend of the Family"|
|Power, Season 6|
|#01||"Murderers"||#06||"Inside Man"||#11||"Still DRE"|
|#02||"Whose Side Are You On?"||#07||"Like Father, Like Son"||#12||"He Always Wins"|
|#03||"Forgot About Dre"||#08||"Deal with the Devil"||#13||"It's All Your Fault"|
|#04||"Why Is Tommy Still Alive?"||#09||"Scorched Earth"||#14||"Reversal of Fortune"|
|#05||"King's Gambit"||#10||"No One Can Stop Me"||#15||"Exactly How We Planned"|
|Power Book II: Ghost, Season 1|
|#01||"The Stranger"||#05||"The Gift of the Magi"||#09||"Monster"|
|#02||"Exceeding Expectations"||#06||"Good vs Evil"||#10||"Heart of Darkness"|
|#03||"Play the Game"||#07||"Sex Week"|
|#04||"The Prince"||#08||"Family First"|